Hi everyone! Today I am super excited to introduce one of my childhood best friends Jessie to The Blonde Traveler. Jessie is here to tell you about some of her adventures from her cross Europe tour she took in May!
Oh hey there readers of Libbey’s blog. I’m Jessie and I went to Europe for the month of May! I have previously done the “backpacking thing” and didn’t want to go through the whole planning process again so one my best friends and I decided to do a Contiki tour and then a couple countries on our own afterwards. The tour was great! It took care of all the transportation and accommodations and I met some absolutely amazing people!
My trip began in London and then I travelled to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Krakow, Budapest, Ljubljana, Venice, Rome, Paris and Brussels. I covered a lot of ground during the three weeks I was in Europe, so I’ll just mention some of my favourites.
Numero uno: Elan Café in London. One of my favourite things we did while in London was going to the Elan Café. Not only did they have fabulous desserts, but its décor made for some totally insta-worthy pictures. The one we went to was within walking distance of Hyde Park so we spent the day there and then headed over to the café for dessert and tea.
2) Edam. During our stay in Amsterdam, we took a short drive to this little town that’s known for their cheese. We all got to ride granny bikes and see how beautiful this place was and then we made our way to a clog- making demonstration with a cheese and wine tasting. This is where I also discovered my love for stroopwaffels- they’re flattened waffles with a delicious syrup in the middle.
3) In Prague we took a guided bike tour of the city. It lasted about three hours and it was amazing how much we got to see during that time. The architecture in Prague is beautiful and it was just nice to walk around and explore. Some of my favourite things included their chimney cones (basically a donut cone stuffed with ice cream) and beer garden which had a beautiful view of the city. It was also fun getting to write on the John Lennon wall.
4) A Mozart and Strauss concert and Prater park in Vienna. My tour group went to a concert in the Grand Opera Hall in Vienna. We all got to dress up and listen to some beautiful music and opera and then later on we went to Vienna’s amusement park, Prater park, and spent the night on roller coasters.
5) Perogies in Krakow. I have had perogies before, if you count the kind that comes frozen from the grocery store, but they are nothing like true polish perogies. While in Krakow, they had a market set up with tons of little booths and vendors, some of which sold perogies, some fried, some not, both delicious. I also tried dessert perogies stuffed with raspberry jam and they were also super good.
6) Architecture and food in Brussels. I love my fries and I’ve heard that the ones in Belgium are wonderful so for that reason, Brussels made it onto my list of countries to travel to this summer. I’m pleased to say that I was not disappointed, the frites came in a huge cone and they were super yummy. I was also a fan of their waffles, my fav were the Liege ones because they were super sweet. The architecture in the Grand Place was gorgeous during the day and at night it was fun just walking around the city. My inner science nerd also loved going to The Atomium.
I had an incredible trip with incredible people and I can’t wait until my next adventure. It truly was the trip of a lifetime and an experience I’ll never forget.
I also would like to shout out Romana Gelateria for having theeee BEST gelato and Libbey- it was an honour to make a guest appearance on your blog!
Jessie (a brunette traveller)