Arrival In France

Well I am here.

Yesterday morning I arrived at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. I met my host mom (Danielle) and a Rotary member from my club. It was so exciting yet I was so jet legged due to the fact that I only slept an hour on the plane. When I arrived in Esternay I started to unpack and it finally hit me that I am not leaving for an entire year. It’s crazy. After I had taken a nap Danielle took me to Sezanne where I will be going to school. The place is huge. We went to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner. There was a building beside the grocery store that looked like a wear house and Danielle explained that people can order their groceries at home then come and pick them up when they want to. We need to start this in Canada. Everything is much different here. The food, the bread, the light switches, the cars, the roads, just everything. I’m so overwhelmed by everything right now that I don’t even know what to think of the country France.

On Friday I will be going to my first Rotary meeting, where I will go on a little plane for a trip around my town. Also a reporter might be at the meeting to ask me questions about my exchange.

Yesterday I was spoken to in French all day, in which I answered mostly oui, not knowing what else to say. I hope that I start to get used to the way things are here so that I become more comfortable.

I miss everyone at home terribly,

love Libbey

13 thoughts on “Arrival In France

1. chelle45 says:

So happy you made it safe and sound. In sure it is overwhelming but remember we are there with you always in you heart for comfort and strength whenever you need it. So very inspired by your courage and strength. The language will come in time. No fret hugs and take one day at a time. Much love

Sent from Samsung Mobile

2. Ivy Madden says:

Thanks for the update sweetie. It all sounds sooooo exciting and a bit overwhelming but you are the most adaptable 16 year old ever and it won’t be long before you’re fitting in like one of the locals. Esternay sounds quite lovely. We all miss you too but all of us are extremely jealous also. Much love, keep the posts coming. Love you to bits, oui I do. XOXO

3. Pat Reynaert says:

So great to hear from you…all of us have been thinking of you constantly. Don’t worry…you will swing into the differences very quickly and it will all seem natural to you. Looking forward to your pictures…where you are living, the school etc. Keep posting when you have time…we are all very interested in how you are doing and what you are doing!!
    Love Gram Pat xoxoxoxoxo

• grandpeach............ says:

glad ur safe and in good hands…..everything sounds great..love you so much and cannot wait to hear more…lots of love and kisses gramps and gramma….

4. Madeline says:

Sounds awesome libs!! So jealous of your experience, you’re going to be so happy you did it after all the overwhelming stuff settles! If you need help with French don’t hesitate to message me 🙂 have fun, and make sure to meet some cute French boys who love wine too 😉 hahaha xox

5. Hannah brunell says:

I thought your comment about how you only said ‘oui’ all day was funny- those were definitely my first days. The worst is when you are trying to listen to someone and they can see that you don’t understand so they start speaking louder, not more slowly. Like, that’s not gonna solve anything but thanks for trying I guess

Either way. Glad you got there in one piece!

6. Dianna Riberdy says:

Glad you made it safe and sound. You will be fitting in before you know it. Keep the post coming.
    Love UB & AD

7. uncle bill says:

Ahhhhh…..all the planning, all the anticipation, all of the excitement of your adventure – it’s now a terrific reality!! Bonne chance Libby, soak it in and enjoy!!
    Love,
    UB&AA

8. Katie says:

What an amazing journey you have started!! I’m so happy you were able to have this experience in France! The language will come in time! Everyone at school will probably ask you to teach them some different English words!! Hopefully you become more comfortable soon!
    Love yah!